If you want to sell or display your photographs online, you’ll need to create a photography website. In this case, you’ll need a web host. However, you might not know how to find the best web hosting for photographers.
Fortunately, it’s easier to find the right host when you know what to look for. For instance, if you’ve got lots of images, you might need a plan with unlimited storage and bandwidth. Meanwhile, to preserve an excellent User Experience (UX), you can find performance-focused features like CDNs and caching.
What to look for in a web host for photographers
When choosing the best web hosting for photographers, there are some key factors to look out for. Here are some of the main features to consider before signing up for a hosting plan:
- ⚙️ Features. There are different kinds of hosting you can opt for as a photographer. Depending on whether you need a standard web host for your photography website (like Hostinger), or a pure image hosting solution (like 500px), your choice of platform will differ. Be upfront on the set of features that you need. This also includes whether you want to be able to sell your photos directly from that hosting solution. Always check if the platforms you’re considering offer the needed features.
- 💽 Storage. Images and videos tend to have very large file sizes. Therefore, it’s important to find a web host that provides sufficient disk space. To give you an idea, a high-quality large photo will usually require 3MB+.
- ⌛ Bandwidth. Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transferred within a given period of time. The more images you have on your site, the higher bandwidth capabilities you’ll require.
- 📈 Performance. Since media files can slow your site down, look out for features like caching and Content Delivery Networks (CDN) to speed up your loading times.
- 🔒️ Security. If you’re selling your images, you’ll find that some web hosts offer free SSL certificates. Plus, you can access additional tools like Web Application Firewalls (WAFs) and malware scans.
Image optimization. Some web hosts provide website builders so that you can build portfolios and galleries. However, you’ll find others that offer a whole suite of image tools for resizing and optimization.
All factors considered, you’ll be in a better place to find the best web hosting for photographers.
Best web hosting for photographers in 2023
Now that you know what to look for in a web host, here’s some of the best web hosting for photographers:
Hostinger is a traditional web hosting company – meaning, it will allow you to have a site created and hosted on their platform. Hostinger provides some of the best web hosting for photographers with unlimited bandwidth and plenty of storage. Additionally, even with lots of large media files, you can expect speedy performances with useful features like LiteSpeed caching.
What’s more, with the Business plan, you’ll get access to a free CDN to further improve content delivery times. And, even beginners can create a professional-looking website thanks to Hostinger’s intuitive website builder (with access to over 200 designer-crafted templates).
⚙️ Key features
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 100 GB SSD storage with the cheapest plan
- Free SSL
- Free domain
- Free CDN (with Business plan)
- Automated backups
- LiteSpeed caching
- Optimized for WooCommerce
- Drag-and-drop website builder
- AI website creation
- Malware scanner
- Web Application Firewall (WAF)
You can get started with Hostinger for just $1.99 per month. Or, for additional performance-focused features and 200 GB NVMe storage, it will cost $2.99.
SmugMug offers the ideal place to store, share, and sell your photographs. Better yet, the plans provide a great deal of flexibility, making them suitable both for professionals and amateur photographers. This solution is very different to something like Hostinger, given that it’s 100% focused on the “photos” side of web hosting. Meaning, it will take care of your photo library, but there’s not much control over any website-related aspects of how those photos look online.
With SmugMug, you can tailor your plan to your needs, choosing between services like web hosting, a website builder, a portfolio builder, and ecommerce tools. And, your photos will always look their best with unlimited full resolution JPEG storage and custom sizes.
⚙️ Key features
- Unlimited storage
- Private galleries
- Custom display sizes
- Custom watermarks to prevent content scraping
- Integrated cart and checkout experience
- Coupon creator
- Client galleries for review or download
- Professional portfolio or storefront
- Apply price lists to galleries
- Integrates with Adobe Lightroom
SmugMug offers a premium service with plans starting at $16 per month. However, the Portfolio plan with watermarks and theft protection costs $34.
500px provides a great opportunity to join a community of over 16 million photographers. You’ll create your own profile on the platform. Then, you can share your portfolios, follow other users, and like their assets.
Additionally, you’ll get access to advanced analytics and marketing advice. Plus, you can make money on 500px by selling your work to a global marketplace. And, you can even show that your services are for hire.
⚙️ Key features
- Pulse algorithm gets your photos seen by the right people
- Portfolio website
- Profile builder
- Advanced statistics
- Editor’s Choice
- Photo challenges to test your skills and win prizes
- 500px Licensing (paid members earn up to 100 percent royalties)
- Unlimited photos
You’ll need a membership to start using 500px. The cheapest membership option costs $4.99 per month or go Pro for $9.99 per month.
If you’re looking for the best web hosting for photographers, you need to check out Pixpa. With the sophisticated portfolio builder, you’ll get access to over 150 stunning templates and an all-in-one visual site builder.
What’s more, Pixpa is great if you’re looking to sell products, services, and digital files. Plus, Pixpa makes it easy to manage orders, shipping, and taxes. And, you can even design a branded checkout experience.
⚙️ Key features
- Over 100 apps and integrations
- Over 150 responsive templates
- Powerful visual editor
- Client galleries (where clients can view, download, and purchase your photos)
- Sell images as prints and downloads
- Automated order fulfilment
- Branded checkout page
- 24/7 live chat
- Connect to your domain
- Free SSL
The cheapest Pixpa plan is just $1.88 per month, but this locks you into a two-year contract. However, you can try any plan for 15 days at no cost.
Wix is one of the most popular website builders on the market and also offers some of the best web hosting for photographers. Better yet, it’s quick and easy to get started with over 900 customizable website templates.
Additionally, you’ll find plenty of photography features like media galleries and image quality tools. Plus, there’s even an image securing function to protect your data. And, there are tons of ways to make money with Wix. You can offer prints and digital files, sell pre-recorded courses, and take bookings.
⚙️ Key features
- Enterprise-grade security
- 99.99 percent uptime guarantee
- Manage portfolio projects from one dashboard
- Image Resizer
- Wix Logo Maker
- Custom domain
- Built-in analytics
- Sync projects from Dribble, Instagram, Google Art, and more
- Automatically build a Contact List
- Scheduling software
- Wix Owner app to manage your site on-the-go
Wix pricing starts at $16.00 per month with 2 GB storage and a free domain.
The easiest way to display and sell your images online is to create a photography website. However, this means you’ll need to find a quality web host. Fortunately, there are tons of great options available.
🤳 To recap, here’s some of the best web hosting for photographers:
Do you have any questions about how to choose the best web hosting for photographers? Let us know in the comments below!